Friday, April 25, 2008

Changing To Ubuntu

Well, now that the download is 54% through, I think I'd might as well announce to you that I've taken the choice to move to Ubuntu, a flavor of Linux.

Well, its Ubuntu 8.04 to be precise.

It all first started when I had a old laptop, it had been in the family for almost five years and nobody really wanted it.

So I decided to give Ubuntu a try. I don't know where or when I first found about it, but I liked it as soon as I tried it.

For all you non-geeks out there, Ubuntu is a version of Linux, an operating system like Windows, but its 110% free.

And it contains programs that are free as well, and substitute programs that come with Windows, like OpenOffice, GIMP, Firefox and Thunderbird.

The laptop gradually died, may god bless its soul, on the hands of my youngest brother, who took the liberty of taking out all its keys (laptop keys cannot be fitted back in, doh!), which need 70 JDs to be replaced.

So now, a few years on, I finally decided to try out Ubuntu on this desktop computer. I found the old CD I had burned a long time ago, but it was too scratched and too old to work.

Finally, I decided to download the new release, Ubuntu 8.04. And, its 56% done till now. 2% since the beginning of post.

I've been looking for a way to dual boot between XP and Linux, since I still need Flash CS3, Photoshop CS3, Adobe Audition, and others. I found this handy article, which I plan to follow.

I was also wondering how to install Perl onto Ubuntu, so I can carry on with my Project Euler challenges. I still haven't found a solution to that, anyone of you readers know the solution?

I can't think of anymore things. I'll post again when I'm on Ubuntu.

Wish me luck.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Khaled,
    Welcome to Ubuntu World :), i'm living there a long time ago. Hoping you will enjoy our neighborhood :).
    For Perl, don't worry :)
    sudo apt-get install perl.
    will solve all the problems, you can join Jordan Ubuntu LoCo team for more support or JoLUG. I hope this links will help you.

    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/JordanTeam
    groups.google.com/group/Jolug
    linuxexpert.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have any idea what the substitue program for Adobe Audition is, on Ubuntu? I recently installed Ubuntu on my PC and I still cant seem to find the substitute for that program on Ubuntu. Do you have any idea? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete